Legal & Business Affairs Assistant
- What you will do
Negotiating and contracting: Support the commissioning, acquisitions, and business affairs’ teams with the drafting, negotiation and project management for a wide range of Content deals including but not limited to acquisitions, developments, commissions, production and distribution deals under the supervision of lawyers and senior lawyers.
Rights management: Research into contributor fees, contract terms, copyright clearance, writers, presenters and format deals, interpretation of Union agreements, framework agreements, and rights’ positions whilst ensuring that all the necessary rights are acquired for UKTV and BBC Studios’ channel businesses exploitation as applicable.
- Administration and maintaining records: Conduct necessary department administration relating to contracts, closing of programme deals and finance, and related business documentation ensuring accurate up-to-date record keeping. Liaising with third parties to ensure timely delivery of contractual paperwork.
- Databases: Assume responsibility for the updating and maintenance of key databases to ensure key dates and options are well managed and communicated to all relevant internal stakeholders.
- Team management support: Provide highly effective and efficient contract / business affairs administration and team management support to the lawyers and support the team as required in advising editorial, production, press & marketing, and commercial colleagues of the key business implications of programme ideas or deal terms and dealing with ad hoc queries related to the same.
- External third party relationships: Act as a point of contact and maintain excellent relations with all external contacts including independent producers, distributers, sales agents, talent, commercial partners, and other rights-owning bodies and to deal with routine queries effectively and efficiently.
- Internal relationships: Build and maintain effective working relationships with all internal colleagues at BBC Studios and UKTV to ensure the Legal & Business Affairs team continues to perform effectively and efficiently and to ensure applicable standards in deal making and rights acquisitions are maintained.
- Risk management: Assist the lawyers with mitigating legal, contractual and business affairs risk, brand and IP protection. To manage accurate contract record keeping and rights reporting.
- UKTV/BBC Policy: Work with relevant colleagues to ensure that all deal making is consistent with UKTV and any applicable BBC policy, strategy and guidelines and any applicable rights frameworks.
- Who you are
A proactive and flexible approach to work and being comfortable with a dynamic environment with constantly changing priorities.
Effective time management and organisational skills and the ability to prioritise own workload; planning for self and others actions that need to happen, by whom and by when.
- Resilience and stamina to sustain performance and meet deadlines even when under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and as an integral part of a team, exercising initiative and referring upwards only where necessary.
- Strong relationship management, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across a number of departments and services, both internal and external, and to build successful business relationships and contacts.
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy and a highly conscientious approach to work.
- Ability to handle confidential information and documents with discretion
Diversity & Inclusion Commitment
At UKTV, our inclusion vision is to truly represent society in our workforce and on-screen, and create a culture of fairness and respect where we champion difference so that every person feels included and empowered to do their best work. We are committed to ensuring that all employees and job applicants are given equal opportunity, and that we have diverse voices at the table in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone and we want UKTV to be a place where you can be your authentic self, give your best and develop your career free from discrimination of any kind.