About the company
We’re Given – the agency for purpose-driven brands. Founded in 2009 to help brands and business become a force for good, we’ve shaped sustainability strategies, dreamt up integrated creative campaigns and built impactful brands – all with a laser focus on creating positive change in the world. Our work has helped national and international brands like IKEA, John Lewis & Partners, Lloyds Banking Group, Costa, L’Oréal, Haleon, Tommy Hilfiger, and many others, define and execute on their brand purpose. We fundamentally believe it takes both insightful strategy and imaginative creativity to change things for good, so we have both under the same East London roof.
We offer great benefits, a collaborative and creative, ideas-based environment, impactful and
meaningful work, brilliant career opportunities, and the chance to work with some of the biggest and best businesses & brands in the world.
We’re looking for a smart and imaginative multidisciplinary Senior Designer, with strong experience in digital design and a desire to create positive change through their work. This exciting role will see you work across a range of projects, leading design direction and crafting meaningful solutions for clients like IKEA, John Lewis & Partners, Lloyds Banking Group, Costa, L’Oréal, Haleon, Tommy Hilfiger and many others. The role will involve creative outputs from visual identity to print and layout but has a particular focus on digital design and general digital thinking, so it’s essential you have strong experience leading projects in this area. The Senior Designer will be part of the creative team reporting to the Creative Director and will line-manage two junior members of the design team. They will also be responsible for helping drive the design process – providing input on how projects are planned and resourced.
While you might not have had professional experience in the purpose space already, we’d love to see evidence of your passion for positive change. We’re looking for a real belief that brands need to be more purposeful and progressive to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges.
- You’ll be confident designing for a diverse range of outputs across digital design (both UX and UI, visual identity & editorial/layout work) as well as visual identity and print/layout.
- Be the go-to person for all things digital – bringing an understanding of web technologies, platforms, design systems, content management systems and the development process.
- Taking your design from concept to delivery, you will be able to articulate your craft verbally
and in written form. You will be expected to give and take direction and create client-facing
presentations to explain your work.
- Mentoring & line managing up to two junior members of the team – helping them learn new
skills, set objectives and support them on day-to-day project needs.
- You will work collaboratively with other designers, strategists, creatives, copywriters and
project managers to produce original visual executions that are smart, on-brand, and on brief.
- Providing input on project process: helping plan design projects, estimate time an resourcing.
- You’ll support the agency’s new business efforts – contributing ideas and energy to pitches and proposals. Taking a leading role in the design output.
- You’ll be working across all of our clients, from luxury fashion to utilities, so you’ll need to wear ‘many hats’ when it comes to your thinking and how you answer briefs.
- You have at least 5 years of professional design experience in an agency environment or in-house, working primarily on digital projects
- Are passionate about digital design, web and UX
- You’re a wizard in digital software like Figma/Sketch/XD, and competent in the Adobe Creative suite
- You’re comfortable providing design leadership and direction to other team members across multiple projects – as well as working on your own projects.
- Are a good mentor and line manager to more junior members of the team, and strive to help everyone create the best work possible
- You’re confident working with online collaboration tools – most of our work happens through
Google Workspace – in slides, docs and sheet, as well as Mural/Miro/Figma for online
- You’re comfortable working at speed and can work to tight deadlines
- You can clearly present your ideas – verbally and in writing – showing how your thinking
ladders up to effectively answering purpose-led briefs. You should be confident in presenting
work to clients as well as internally
- You’re commercially savvy, or willing to learn how to be. Everyone at a small, independent
business like Given understands how their work contributes to the business as a whole
- You believe in making purposeful work that can have a real positive impact in the world
- Hybrid working, with one fixed day in the office a week
- We offer 26 days paid holiday per calendar year pro rata, plus public holidays. We also close the office between Christmas and New Year, which is in addition to your paid holiday allowance
- Above industry standard company bonus scheme
- Pension Scheme with Aviva, eligible after passing your probation
- Health plan with SimplyHealth, eligible after passing your probation
- £100 working from home allowance to help your home office set up, eligible after passing your probation
- A tenure bonus reward after 3 and 6 years of employment
- Work from anywhere for 1 month of the year, after your first year of employment
- Access to our Given Campus for training and development needs
- Interest free season ticket loan and Bike to Work scheme
- Option and role dependent mobile phone for business and personal use (UK domestic calls
How to Apply
Please apply via the link below with your CV and cover letter
Our first step will be a 30 minute phone call to understand a bit more about you and why you’ve applied. Next, we’ll invite candidates to a first round interview to get into more detail about you and the role, as well as taking a look at your experience together. The final stage will involve answering a short brief that will take no longer than a day of your time to prep. We’ll ask you to come into our office to present your thinking.
Given strives to be an equal opportunities employer and everyone’s commitment to this process will be expected. We are proud to be different and that starts with our people. We believe in equal
opportunities for everyone. Individuality is what makes us great, we want everyone to bring their full self to work and create something amazing. We are happy to discuss flexible and agile approaches to working for all our roles – we can’t promise we will be able to offer you everything you want or need but we do promise to discuss it with you openly and honestly. If you have any reasonable adjustments required in order to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss it with our recruitment team.