About the company
UKTV has been at the forefront of branded television for over 25 years, entertaining the nation with programmes they love. Its leading brands – Dave, Gold, W, Drama, Alibi, Eden and Yesterday – span comedy, entertainment, natural history, factual and drama, and are delivered to audiences through UKTV Play, Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, YouView, Freesat and Amazon Fire. The broadcaster is a significant investor in British creativity and is committed to working with new and established writers, directors and programme-makers.
UKTV is part of BBC Studios, the UK’s most-awarded production company, a world-class distributor with international branded services, and a commercial subsidiary of the world’s leading public service broadcaster, the BBC.
A little bit about our team
The Insight team sits at the heart of UKTV, feeding into all areas of the business including Strategy, Editorial, Marketing, Scheduling, Commissioning and Digital. Our core purpose is to ensure that consumer insight is at the forefront of all decisions.
We prided ourselves on having a strong team culture and take a collaborative approach to everything we do. UKTV’s desire to understand our viewers puts the Insight team in a highly valued position within the company.
Purpose of the role
The Insight Executive will work alongside the Insight Manager. They will be responsible for the day to day running of research for UKTV channels and will act as first point of contact for BAU insight requests. This role is key to ensuring audience insight sits at the heart of all decisions across the business.
Feeding into various areas of UKTV will allow you the opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects. The scope of the role means you’ll be involved in, but not limited to, helping to find scheduling solutions, aid the Insight Manager in conducting marketing evaluations, undertaking trend research, digital data requests and working with commissioning to help develop content that resonates with our audiences. You will be using BARB data and exploring tableau dashboards to give insight recommendations.
So, if you want to be part of an exciting and dynamic Insight team then this is the role for you.
In this role you will get to…
You will get the chance to drive audience-based decisions across the business using both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. This will include involvement in both inhouse projects and working with external research agencies.
UKTV believe staying abreast of industry trends is key and you will be part of the team pivotal to achieving this.
Who you are
You are an inquisitive and strategic thinker with a genuine passion for TV and have experience working in a market research capacity, ideally within a Broadcast Insight team. You enjoy finding solutions to complex problems and can think critically about key research questions and how they feed into business needs. It is essential that you can successfully translate stakeholder requests into research requirements, ultimately providing insight-based solutions.
You should thrive in a busy environment with ever changing priorities. You must be adaptable and flexible in your approach to work, and able to act quickly to last minute data requests.
You are a strong communicator, highly numerate and able to interpret large quantities of audience data in an insightful, impactful and engaging way. You enjoy building and maintaining great relationships across the business and within the Insight team.
You have an interest in consumer trends and are creative in combining different methodologies to find solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion Commitment
At UKTV, our inclusion vision is to truly represent society in our workforce and on-screen, and create a culture of fairness and respect where we champion difference so that every person feels included and empowered to do their best work. We are committed to ensuring that all employees and job applicants are given equal opportunity, and that we have diverse voices at the table in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone and we want UKTV to be a place where you can be your authentic self, give your best and develop your career free from discrimination of any kind.
- Provides consumer insight which anticipates and meets the needs of UKTV
- Builds relationships with Strategy, Editorial, Marketing, Scheduling, Commissioning and Digital.
- Act as a first point of contact for day to day BARB data requests arising from issues facing UKTV and its channel teams
- Works with the Insight Manager to translate issues into research requirements
- Provides insight and well-informed recommendations to inform team decisions
- Keeps abreast of broad consumer research and tailor insights to UKTV
- Ensures wherever possible broader consumer trends are reflected in regular and ad hoc reports
In House Qualitative Research
- Contribute with the moderation and management of in-house qualitative research
- Working both internally and with agencies to deliver Qualitative research using online systems (such as zoom)
- Face to Face duties to be resumed only when appropriate, include assisting in sending internal invites, setting up rooms, organising refreshments, travel and accommodation, and inputting respondents name on to the internal system
- Ensures research is conducted with the utmost expertise and impartiality and within the MRS guidelines
- To assist with the writing and presenting of insightful debriefs with clear learnings and recommendations.
Timely and relevant data analysis
- Produce accurate, timely and insightful weekly and ad hoc channel evaluations using BARB and other data where appropriate to ensure the channels deliver on target
- The use of data systems such as tableau to distil and manipulate complex data sets
- To assist the Insight Manager in creating evaluations and recommendations following investigation
- To assist the Insight Manager in evaluating marketing activity, and developing target audiences for advertising campaigns
- To assist the Insight Manager and Senior Executive as appropriate with qualitative and quantitative research commissioned by UKTV. This will include assisting in the briefing, planning and debrief processes
- Analysis of major UKTV/channel/web initiatives
- Be creative in approaching complex queries and think of different methodologies find a solution
- Be adaptable to changes in priorities and act quickly to last minute data requests
Online & multi platform integration
- Help decision makers fully understand the online world
- Work with the Insight Manager with research which helps maximise the objectives of the UKTV Play
- Integrate digital stats into reports, and fully understand the relevance and impact to the brands
- To follow UKTV’s financial procedures ensuring all supplier agreements and payments are processed within company guidelines
- Assist the Insight team with administration roles such as, producing scheduling aid templates, updating TechEdge target and channel groups, ROI slot averages and AI pivots, data runs, inputting into KPI sheet, writing competitor reviews, raising POs and booking rooms
Complexity & Problem Solving:
- Routinely works with manager to help find solutions to complex problems with little precedent of how to resolve; needs to analyse varied and complex data sets to reach solutions
- Manages multiple projects concurrently requiring excellent organisation and an ability to prioritise
- To live the UKTV behaviours: create, learn, collaborate, influence, challenge
- To harness team spirit across UKTV and collaborate with colleagues across the business to deliver successful projects [and/or] campaigns
- To promote and display trust to build successful business relationships and contacts
Business Impact / Strategic Responsibility:
- To take a savvy approach making the most of UKTV’s budgets and resource
- Provides consumer insight which constantly shapes business strategy
- Has a good understanding of UKTV’s strategy
- Has a direct impact on the audience, through their recommendations into scheduling, commissioning, acquisitions etc
Significant experience of:
- Quantitative research, gained in either a research, advertising or media agency, or within a client company
- Analysing data and research findings, and producing clear and incisive written reports and actionable recommendations
- Using Excel and PowerPoint to manipulate and present data to a high standard
- Presenting research findings to a non-research audience
- Have experience of working with multi-platform metrics
- Strategic thinker with high attention to detail
- Numerically confident and able to analyse large amounts of data
- Good influencing skills, with the ability to drive through implementation of research recommendations
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to adapt style according to audience
- Takes a proactive and flexible approach to work and is comfortable with a dynamic environment with constantly changing priorities
- Strong relationship management and communication skills with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across several departments and services
- A genuine passion for TV
- Passionate about viewer and consumer research and its impact
Don’t have all the above, don’t let that stop you! Here are some additional skills that we would like to hear about:
- Interrogation and analysis of BARB viewing data, ideally using TechEdge; experience of using other syndicated data sources such as TGI or Mintel preferred but not essential
- Experience of Tableau or other data visualisation tools
- Experience using Adobe Analytics
Experience of qualitative research methods
How to Apply
Please click the link below to apply.