About the company
Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments.
The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy – the global marketplace for unique and creative goods – and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that’s kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can’t get anywhere else – unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
As Director of Design and Research, you’ll lead Depop’s product design and UX research teams, and will take on the challenge of creating a user experience that’s both fun and engaging and also makes it easy for buyers and sellers to participate in our marketplace. You’ll be charged with creating our product design strategy, working closely with both our brand team and our product and engineering teams.
You’ll be responsible for bringing forward-thinking design leadership to depop.com as well as our iOS and Android apps. You’ll use your influence and expertise to create the conditions for appealing and compelling design that makes customers fall in love with Depop, and you’ll ensure the team has the vision, focus, metrics, processes, and space to execute high-impact work that breathes life into our incredible brand at every customer touchpoint. This position is a member of the company’s senior management team and will play a central role in making design a competency that drives transformative business capabilities at Depop.
- Managing and supporting our product design and UX research team of roughly 12 members, crafting paths for career growth and supporting team members in their progression, learning, and development.
- Co-creating UX strategy driving buy-in amongst the Depop community.
- Supporting the continued adoption, evolution, and improvement of our design system and design standards and working with engineering to ensure that it is well integrated into our code base.
- Advocating for and generating buy-in for our product design strategy in the company leadership, and representing product design and research both internally and externally. ● Working closely with our brand team to bring product design and brand design closer together, translating our brand into our product.
- Ensuring that the Depop iOS and Android apps and Depop.com provide a great user experience, maintaining consistency across platforms and with platform standards where it makes sense.
- Working across functions, including product management, product marketing, engineering and analytics, to enable teams to optimise and excel at product discovery and delivery so that they learn about and create impact for our users efficiently
- Apply coaching skills, active listening and high EQ to facilitate a product, growth and experimental mindset in our teams
This role might be right for you if you have the following experience;
- Have experience as a design leader, managing both individuals and managers supporting multiple product initiatives, across product design, UX research, and UX copywriting ● Are comfortable and experienced working in a product environment where we focus on continuous learning and delivery, utilising lean discovery processes and experimentation to enable autonomous teams to achieve measurable outcomes
- Have excellent communication and storytelling skills, which you use to build buy-in and alignment across varied stakeholders and motivate and inspire teams
- Have experience managing UX researchers, and with both quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Have experience developing and rolling out a design system
- Possess excellent people management skills, experience managing managers is a plus ● Have experience working in a two-sided marketplace and/or in fashion are not required, but are a plus
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- Cash-plan or PMI – you have the choice of a healthcare plan that best suits you ● Subsidised counselling and coaching – we partner with Selfspace to provide you the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme – choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders – we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave with the option to carryover up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress ● 2 activism days per year for you to use for volunteering, demonstrations or internal initiatives ● We offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
We’re Flexa® accredited, meaning we offer genuinely flexible working;
- We’d love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week!
- Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be “Office-Based”, with your very own desk.
- Do you do your best work from home? You can also request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year *role dependent
- In the office, we provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee and the occasional surprise treats! ● All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend. ● Apply to work abroad 4 weeks of the year (in UK tax treaty countries)
- Maternity + Paternity Leave, plus adoption leave, IVF leave, shared parental leave + paid emergency parent/carer leave
Learn and Grow
- We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)
And finally, as a valued Depop employee We waive all of our employees’ fees when they sell on Depop and also ship your sold items anywhere in the UK for free using our team’s account
How to Apply
Please apply via the link below
Depop is based in London, and we are open to remote candidates in the UK.
Depop supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.