The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production. Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
This is an exciting opportunity to join Brand Partnerships — a new Mill team with a really bold mission:
To change the way brands build creative work.
We do this by breaking down traditional boundaries, inviting brands further into the process and bringing them closer to the people that actually make stuff. This allows clients to be more involved in the creative process, but it also means their ideas are challenged every day by people who want to make braver and more effective creative work. It’s a win-win.
The Mill has spent thirty years building outstanding visuals for advertising and Brand Partnerships is a natural evolution of that, extending our expertise to include strategy and conceptual creative work. Though there are similarities between this role and that of a traditional agency creative, we are an unconventional business by almost every measure, and we’re looking for people who are, like us, interested in working differently.
In this role you will work directly and be mentored by our Creative Director. You will be immersed in all that The Mill can offer and support our team to meet the ambitions of our clients. The ideal candidate would have a base level understanding of agency creative processes, marketing strategy, audiences, campaign-building, and asset production. They would draw on this to help conceptualize and articulate ideas.
We’re looking for a self-starting person that will take the initiative. Someone who is able to take a brief and, with support, start formulating ideas that deliver creatively and commercially. Someone who will enjoy getting to know our world class artists and capabilities and learn to harness these as part of the creative process. explore them as part of the formulation of ideas. Having an eye for design is preferable but the ideal candidate would also be a strong writer, able to spin a clever line, contribute to a pitch and craft a script. They should be able to explain and articulate this work in an accessible way. Big ideas are important in this role. But it’s crucial that people understand them.
If you can master all this, we will help you to make your career-best work for the world’s leading brands.
What you bring:
• Amazing ideas that excite clients and colleagues alike
• An ability to decipher creative briefs and craft responses
• An understanding of how to deliver your ideas through traditional and non-traditional production processes
• An ability to express your thinking clearly, through written decks and design references
• Art direction and script/copywriting skills — these should be reflective of cultural trends and wider pop-culture. Relevance is key to what we do.
• A desire to find new ways of doing things — making bigger, better, weirder work for our clients.
• An enthusiasm for wider Mill skillsets — this might be motion graphics or VFX, music video or emerging tech. You’ll be introduced to it all.
• A team-player attitude. We’re a very close, supportive group and we go the extra mile for our people and projects
• A strong desire to learn
• And all of the normal stuff like time management, strong communication skills, being a responsible ambassador for the department/wider business.
Important note: You will be doing none of this in isolation. You will always have a team around you to advise and support. This is not a senior role and you don’t have to be world-class in every category. Yet.
R E S P O N S I B I L I T I E S
Day to day
• Attend client briefings and work with the team to devise responses
• Create, develop and interrogate creative ideas — both independently and as part of a team
• Build these ideas into pitch-worthy decks — these will likely include art direction/design references and written scripts
• Pitch your work both internally and externally, e.g. to clients
• Support the Creative Director and help him manage the creative workload
• Work closely with producers to make conceptual thinking into saleable reality
• Work with the strategy director to make sure our work is always effective
• Liaise and collaborate with other Mill departments e.g. Design, Creative Tech, Live-Action etc
• Meet and build relationships with clients — both formally and informally
• Stay on top of emerging design/technology/advertising trends
• Be a driven, enthusiastic and charismatic ambassador for what we do
• Be entrepreneurial. We’re still defining who we are and the kind of work we pursue. There’s a seat at that table for you.